2008-04-19

From Romania With Love

Ever since I moved to Canada when I was only five, I've only been back to visit Romania once. That was four years ago now and I really have the urge to go visit again this summer. Partly because I want to immerse myself in the language again for a couple of weeks at least. Partly because both of my grandmothers will be moving to Canada for good come September and if I visit in the future I won't be able to stay in their old houses anymore. Last time I went I was rushed from family dinner to family dinner. I hardly had any time to really explore. If the budget permits, I'd love to return and stroll through different cities, snapping many photos and browsing through the markets.

This morning I was flipping through flickr photos and came across this lovely set containing many photos of traditional Romanian folk costumes. I love the intricate embroidery on the vests and the crisp white dresses.





For some reason the high collar and pleats on this Emilio de la Morena appeared to me as a nod to the traditional folk wear. A more modern and stream-lined version.



vest: eBay
suede boots: eBay
dress: Emilio de la Morena from Nina and Lola

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ciao vi posso consigliare un sito dei romeni in Italia

Romania in Italia

Tutto in italiano

http://rumeni-in-italia.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is so nice. I live in Romania, in "Ardeal" :)